Domain Naming Conventions
Following are the basic rules to be observed while choosing a domain name .
- Domains can contain the English-language letters a-z, and the digits 0-9.
- Hyphens can also be used but it can not be used at the beginning and at the end of a domain name. Two hyphens together is usually not permitted and also hyphens cannot appear at both third and fourth positions.
- Spaces and special characters (such as !, $, &, _ and so on) are not permitted.
- The minimum length is 3 and the maximum length is 63 characters (excluding extension ".gov.in").
- Domain names are not case-sensitive.(i.e. you may use a mix of upper or lower case letters)
Following are some restrictions on the composition of domain names under .in.
- Generic names are not allowed.(eg. shipping.gov.in is not allowed)
- For domains under gov.in, the domain must be derived from the name of the organisation name/entity. (eg. Central Vigilance Commission can opt for a domain cvc.gov.in but NOT xyz.gov.in)
- One and Two letter domain names are not allowed (e.g. ab.gov.in)
- The generic second level names (SLDs) of .in should not be used as third level names. (e.g. mil.gov.in and org.gov.in are not allowed as mil and org are generic second level names under .in)
Domain submitted for cancellation takes 35 days time for final deletion. For 30 days after submission for cancellation the status would be shown as "Pending Delete Status" and then for next 5 days status would be "Delete on Hold Status".